Dear Community Member,
As we gear up for the long fight ahead, as we try to build our calluses of love and justice, we want to share updates with you:
|photo by Sonjhai Meggette / Esoteric Images|
Please forgive our lack of communication about upcoming Women/Trans classes. As some of you know, we lost the space at Chapter 510 - and affordable places to host loud drum classes are not easy to come by in Oakland today.
As an over-committed, two-person-run endeavor (and with the dismal state this world is currently in), it has been a challenge to work fast enough to find a home and get our spring programming up and running. We are working to build more sustainable organizational capacity so that this work can continue.
We have a vision of finding a HOME. Not just a studio rental, but a permanent space that values and supports our work, and wants to form strong bonds with us:
- A space that is accessible to various communities and feels welcoming for folks of color.
- A space that connects us to communities that can take advantage of our services.
- A space where we won't have too much of a negative impact as majority newly arrived/relatively privileged people . . . though that's hard to avoid in the Bay.
- A space where our loud noise will be welcomed and won't infringe on the lives of residents (eeesh).
Got ideas, connections, visions for this home? Let us know!
UPCOMING SESSIONS/CLASS UPDATES
We'll be taking a break from weekly classes in February and March, but we'll see you on the streets - stay tuned for updates!
In April, we'll re-start regular workshops at the Flight Deck, a downtown Oakland arts space where we hope to build a long-term collaboration.
In the meantime, we are setting up to plan some great workshop series
1. April workshops to mobilize a crew for May(get ready to spread the word)
2. May/June workshops to fine tune our skills and continue to be in the streets
3. Summer: Special Guest Workshops
4. Fall Workshops to get creative for our STREETS are Free Production (now happening as our Fall Program) including bringing back our Kid and Youth programs.
WE NEED YOUR INPUT IN SCHEDULING
Some of the Flight Deck's times are already booked, but we have a few options and want to prioritize our POC population.
So please COMPLETE THIS FORM by
We miss you and look forward to getting loud together again very soon!
keep on loving and fighting,
Nkei + Sarah